Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day Two: Tripel, style number 6

So stopped by the beer store after church today and bought some goodies. This should last me for the next week. It was a pricey trip, a 6 pack for $17!!! I may need to look for a sponsor.

Left to right and coming up next: 27-Dunkelweizen, 7-American Wheat, 14-Weizenbier, 6-Tripel(Today), 39-Munich Dunkel, 3-Belgian Gold Ale, 13-Helles Bock

This is the Trippel: ale brewed with coriander from New Belgium Brewing in Fort Colins, CO. So a Belgian style beer brewed here in the USA. I believe it was $1.75 for a 12oz bottle at 99 Bottles in Federal Way and worth it! So lets get to it.




I had this cold in a large snifter of sorts. I think it actually is a wine glass, but works just as well. It is a nice gold color full white head that stuck around for a while. It looks hazy in the picture, but it was just the condensation on the glass, a very clear beer. First smell was very citrusy like an orange, spicy too. First taste was so surprisingly smooth, such a well balanced beer. Considering the higher than normal alcohol content of 7.8% and the increased amounts of ingredients I expected it to be a lot more complex. A full mouth-feel, i like when it is crisp and nicely carbonated, and this one was. After having it sit for a little bit and get some air it lost a lot of the smoothness and I could really taste the higher alcohol and sweetens, I think maybe a little too sweet. Overall good beer and I would sure like to get a six pack of this after this whole thing is over. The tasting was done without any food but I'm going to go see if I can find something to finished if off with.

On a 0-3 scale it's a solid 2. (for rating info see first tasting)

Would I buy it again: Yes
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes
What would I do different: Either chug it to have all nice and smooth or have them make it a tad bit hoppier
Why did I chose this beer: I wanted to save some money on a Belgian beer and noticed that it had some kind of an award so I figured it couldn't be bad.



PS. Sorry about the picture quality all I have is an Ipone 3g for now.

1 comment: