Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day Six: American Wheat, style number 7

Well then, here we are again. I decided to get the day started early, 5 pm is like an hour after I wake up so that's like drinking at 9 am for normal people. Somehow when I put together my schedule for the beers, see the first picture on post day two, I kind of did it at random and yesterday when I looked over it I noticed that I have three wheat beers in a row and it made me sad. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate beers or even wheat beers, I just don't want to have three days of wheat beer especially if I have some 60+ different styles still to try. Anyways lets get into it.


Another beer from Lagunitas in Petaluma, California US of A. One of these days I want to visit northern CA and visit some of the great breweries there like Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada, Russian River, Northern Coast. Couple up that great beer with some hiking and swimming in the Tahoe or Shasta area, there is also an awesome music festival over in Quincy, CA called High Sierra which has an awesome lineup this year, but I don't think my little dream can be realized this year.

This is a wheat beer, but I wonder how much wheat it actually contains because I couldn't really taste it. The Lagunitas website did say that it contains barley and wheat. What I did taste was hops and lots of hops. This is a wonderfully smeling beer and has good berry fruity flavor. It has a little sweetness so it's not totally off balance but it sure is hop heavy. 64.2 IBU and 7.5 ABV with a OG of 1.076. It pours clear and honey yellow in color and has a nice tall head on it. I wonder if it's the wheat that makes such fine bubbled head because the last beer did too. I think in terms of being a good representation of a American Wheat beer it failed because it's more like an IPA with some wheat in there somewhere, but in terms of it being a good beer it is! I guess Lagunitas never claimed it to be in this style but http://beeradvocate.com/ somehow put it in that category so that's what I went by when I chose it.

Ok time to wrap this thing up.

On a 0-3: it's a good "IPA" so I give it a 2
Would I buy it again: Yes, although Lagunitas is not easy to find at a grocery store and 99 bottles is not the best place to buy beer affordability although their choices are unmatched
Would I recommend to a friend: Yes, for people who really like hoppy beer
What would I do different: Like I said before and by the looks of it will say again, Have with some sun shine.
Why did I chose this beer: Lagunitas did not disappoint with their PILS so i went with them again.


No comments:

Post a Comment