Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day twenty-five: 4 beers from last weekend

Because this will be a review of four different beers, I will make this very short. I had three of these with my friend Dan last Friday, and the last one was one that I had at camp over the weekend. See my wife's post regarding the camp experience, it was our first one of our married life and it was a lot of fun.

Doppelbock 26: Dan brought this Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock over from 99 Bottles in Federal Way. This was a 12oz bottle and is a 6.7% ABV. There is not a bottle-date on it so I'm not sure about the freshness. This was a very dark, malty, roasty lager with not much carbonation or hop flavor.


On a 0-3 scale: 1 (for rating info see first tasting)
Would I buy it again: No
Would I recommend to a friend: Not really
What would I do different: The environment was perfect, the beer was not.

Dan's pouring on the left, mine on the right

Scotch Ale 65: This was Bridgeport Highlands Ambush Scotch Ale was a beer that I've had for a while. Not sure if it was okay to age it and if I even had it in the right temperature range the whole time. It was basically in my pantry for almost six months. It was also oak aged at some point before bottling. This was a limited release, brewed once, and we weren't impressed, and to be honest it has been very rare that I have been impressed with a beer from this brewery. It was another dark beer with a 6.8% ABV. Low on bitterness and just didn't have a whole lot of goodness to it.


On a 0-3 scale: 1 (for rating info see first tasting)
Would I buy it again: No, not that I can
Would I recommend to a friend: No
What would I do different: Next time I want a scotch ale, I will get the Pike Place Kilt Lifter, one of my favorites.

Imperial IPA 30: There is not an imperial IPA style on my list, although it is a very popular style in the American craft brewing seen. I am putting this in the IPA category. The Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA is a beer with a continuous 90 minute hop addition, this is a 9% ABV beer. This was a delicious beer, as should be expected from Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware. Excellent hop aroma and flavor and perfectly balanced with the malt flavor.


On a 0-3 scale: 3! (for rating info see first tasting)
Would I buy it again: Yes for sure
Would I recommend to a friend: yes as long as they can handle the hops
What would I do different: I have still to try their 120 minute IPA, also I wish these beers were less expensive.

Belgian Dark Ale 29: Trois Pistoles from Unibroue brewery from Quebec, Canada. The funny this is I thought that this was a real Belgian, and not until just now had realized that is was a Canadian beer. This was a good Belgian style beer, although I do prefer the lighter Belgians.


On a 0-3 scale: 2 (for rating info see first tasting)
Would I buy it again: Maybe, it's a little pricey, maybe will go with a different Belgian beer
Would I recommend to a friend: yes
What would I do different: Have somebody to share this with, I had to drink this by myself, a huge pint and 9oz bottle of 9% ABV. It made me very jolly even though I did try to stretch the length of this drinking experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment